Sunday, August 12, 2018

Jovia Armstrong percussion

Today we’d like to introduce you to JoVia Armstrong.
Thanks for sharing your story with us JoVia. So, let’s start at the beginning and we can move on from there.
I am an African American female percussionist and music producer from Detroit. I started off on drum set 28 years ago. By the age of 12, I knew that I wanted to be a percussionist. I continued studying percussion, French horn, cello and piano in high school.
After high school, I attended Michigan State University where I was a percussion major. I studied a lot of classical music but soon got bored in my Freshman year. I met a man named Francisco Mora who started teaching me afro Cuban percussion. I fell in love with it. He became a great mentor to me who I still seek advice from. After three years at MSU, I transferred to Columbia College Chicago where I earned a degree in Music Business.
After college, I started making my own music, teaching a great deal, performing across the globe, and now producing for other people. Did I mention I tour manage for my band? Yes, I wear a lot of hats! What possessed me to start my own music school has simply been passion! I love teaching!
I started Sounds About Write Music School in September of 2016. Owning a music school has its ups and downs. But, the main thing is that its here and I feel that we’re changing lives. I have a couple who are both taking lessons there. I showed them how to create their own music for a colleagues podcast. They were so excited! They said, “We are songwriters!” I said, yes you are! Now let’s make some more music.
You see, the sounds about Write curriculum is a fast and easy way to teach students how to compose music without it taking years, months or even days!!! In ONE workshop, students will have a song created by the end. Instant gratification is where it’s at!
So, that’s my story…. and I’m sticking to it!
We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?
There are typical challenges amongst music schools. The largest challenge is retention. Many people will start lessons and disappear after 3-4 lessons. Learning an instrument takes practice. They either don’t make room for practice because of their lifestyle or they realize how much work it will take.
We’d love to hear more about your business.
We not only teach students of all ages how to play instruments, but we also teach them how to write songs through using music production software programs. Our specialty relies on our Sounds About Write Curriculum which teaches students an easier method to learning music theory and their instruments at the same time. We’ve gotten a lot of great feedback from it. Our curriculum is what sets us apart from other music schools in the city.
We also have all adult students at the moment which is a special joy for us. As musicians ourselves, we are constantly approached by folks in the audience after shows expressing how much they wish they had stuck with music when they were children. Some even say that their parents discouraged them from playing instruments. They complained that the instruments were too loud or that they should go to school to get a real job.
What were you like growing up?
I was a nerdy kid growing up and also what you would call a tomboy. I played with my brother and his friends a lot…. basketball and two hand touch football. There was a lot of playing frisbee in the streets as well.
I spent time with my dad watching him fix cars. I was super into music though…. well, really I was super into sounds growing up. I listened to the radio for hours after school. I practiced during my lunch hour. I don’t remember ever really going to lunch. I practiced all the time though. I loved physics and chemistry and those were my favorite two classes outside of music.
I kept to myself, just as I do now. I would walk to my grandmother’s house where my eldest sister lived. While she was at work I would listen to her CD collection. Well, there were tapes too! I’d lay on her floor and just listen. She was into all types of music.
Contact Info:
  • Address: 9138 S Baltimore Ave Chicago, IL 60617
  • Website

No comments:

Post a Comment